Village of Sugar Bush Knolls Joins NOPEC for Electricity (May 12, 2014)
The Northeast Ohio Public Energy Council (NOPEC) is a public, non-profit group that shops on behalf of its communities for less expensive rates for gas and electricity.
The Village of Sugar Bush Knolls is already a member of NOPEC for natural gas. Council members voted at the May 12, 2014 Village Council meeting to join NOPEC for electricity. Joining NOPEC cost the Village and its residents nothing. By living in the Village, residents are automatically a member of NOPEC but they can opt-out.
Village residents who do not have a contract with an electricity supplier will
- Receive a letter offering them the opportunity to opt-out of NOPEC for electricity.
- Become members of NOPEC if they do nothing. They will receive an opt-out letter every three years (every two years for natural gas).
- Continue to receive the same electricity bills if they don’t opt-out of NOPEC.
- Realize an automatic 6% savings on their electricity bill, with an additional 1% that is held aside and often given back to customers, if they don’t opt-out of NOPEC.
Village residents who have a contract with another electricity supplier
- Won’t receive an opt-out letter.
- Have the option of canceling their current contract and opting to use NOPEC, but they might have to pay an early withdrawal fee to their current supplier.
- Can sign up for MyNOPEC at nopecinfo.org
Village residents who let their contract with another electricity supplier lapse will receive an opt-out letter from NOPEC within two months.
More information can be found here or by calling (440) 248-1992.