The Village of Sugar Bush Knolls is a member of the Northeast Ohio Public Energy Council (NOPEC), which is a public, non-profit group that shops on behalf of its communities for less expensive rates for gas and electricity.
Joining NOPEC cost the Village and its residents nothing. By living in the Village, residents are automatically a member of NOPEC but they can opt-out. Natural gas and electricity are handled as separate contracts but follow the same procedures, as described below.
Village residents who do not have a contract with a natural gas or electricity supplier will
- Receive a letter offering them the opportunity to opt-out of NOPEC every two years for natural gas and every three years for electricity.
- Become members of NOPEC if they do nothing.
- Continue to receive the same natural gas and electricity bills if they don’t opt-out of NOPEC.
- Realize automatic savings on their bills if they don’t opt-out of NOPEC.
- Receive a 6% discount for electricity with an additional 1% that is held aside and often given back to customers.
Village residents who have a contract with another natural gas or electricity supplier
- Won’t receive an opt-out letter.
- Have the option of canceling their current contract and opting to use NOPEC, but they might have to pay an early withdrawal fee to their current supplier.
- Can sign up for MyNOPEC here.
Village residents who let their contract with another natural gas or electricity supplier lapse will receive an opt-out letter from NOPEC within two months.
More information (including determining if NOPEC is already your natural gas or electricity supplier) can be found here or by calling (440) 248-1992.