Village Elected Official Positions
- The Mayor, Clerk-Treasurer and all Council Members are elected positions
- The only elected paid position in the Village is that of the Clerk-Treasurer.
- All positions in the Village are non-partisan positions and represent the whole Village.
From the founding of the Village, service on Council has been an important duty for many residents. Indeed, for some families the second generation has followed in their parents’ footsteps. Please consider joining us.
Residents are always welcome at the Council meetings. If you are interested in serving, please come and join us to see the work being done on your behalf.
Responsibilities as a Council Member
- Attend Village Council meetings. The Village Council meets the second Monday of each month at 7 P.M. in the Vocational Conference Room at Kent Roosevelt High School. The meetings usually last from 2 to 3 hours each month. There is a hiatus in August, if the workflow permits.
- Most council members also serve on Village committees and/or County boards as part of their service.
- Provide input to the Village Council on issues on its agenda.
- Answer questions from Village residents; refer residents to other authorities if needed.
- Those running for office are required to obtain signatures of other village residents on a petition to run for office. Residents interested in running should begin collecting signatures well before the August 5 deadline.
- Petitions may be obtained from the Portage County Board of Elections located in the Portage County Administration Building, 449 South Meridian St. Rm. 101, Ravenna, Ohio 44266. Their hours are Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 4:30 PM. Phone: 330-297-3511.
- All nominating petitions for candidates in non-partisan races must be filed with the Portage County Board of Elections before 4 PM on a date in EARLY August (for 2015 it’s August 5, 2015) in order to be placed on the ballot for the November election (for 2015, it’s November 3, 2015.)