Quick Historical Overview

The Village of Sugar Bush Knolls, Ohio is north of Kent and south of Streetsboro.  It has nine streets, 83 private residences, and 177 residents (according to the 2010 US census).

During the Depression, the Davey Tree Company operated a nursery and experimental tree farm on the site of what is now called the Village of Sugar Bush Knolls.  The Village was named for the sugar maple trees that originally stood near Lake Martin.

The Davey Company owned the land where the Village is now located and kept horses in the barn on Ferguson Road where the Ben Frampton family now lives.  The company owned the small white house that, until recently, was on the corner of Ferguson and Lake Martin Drive. During the early thirties, the company offered to let Charles Miller, one of its employees, and his family move into that house, which had no electricity, telephone or well.

In 1942 the Miller’s son, “Tuck”, and family moved in with the senior Millers.  Calista Miller lived in that house at 1115 Lake Martin Drive and remembered fondly her first year living out in the country.  The street was just a gravel road then and did not extend out to Route 43.

Martin Davey, the president of Davey Tree, arranged to have Lake Martin (named for him), Lake Roger, and Lake Quincy dug out of the swampland.  Lake Roger was named for William Roger Williams and Lake Quincy for David Quincy Grove, both officers of Davey Tree Company.  Harold Moore was the caretaker of the area used by Davey employees for recreation.  A picnic shelter (near what is now the McElhone’s home), rowboats, tree swings, and picnic tables were used for the company’s picnics.

The death of Martin Davey in 1946 ended plans for building the company headquarters on the site.  In the 1950s the land was divided into building lots and sold.  Local businessman Cyril Porthouse purchased a number of lots and built one of the first homes.  He loaned the Village money to have sewers installed so that the Village could be developed.

Some of the early homes were built by McElhones, Brietvelds (now owned by Calvin & Nancy Carstensen), Bushes (now owned by Linda & Norm Sandvoss), Longs (now owned by Gail & Alan Ambuske), Kaisers (now owned by Charles Zumkehr), and Geldhofs (now owned by Nora & Chuck Kegley).